Friday, February 17, 2006

ice ice baby




the weather this winter in Ottawa has been crazy. warm weather almost bringing Winterlude to a halt and the canal is never frozen enough...until today that is.

yesterday, as usual, Thomas and I headed to his parent's house in Arnprior so that he could get the car because I work on Fridays. It started snowing in the morning, which is good i might add because both of us really want to go skiing. anyways, long story short, there were reports of nasty freezing rain on its way, so Thomas came back in my car and decided to stay over at my place again and just wait while i babysat today.

well, as we exited school last night it was almost hailing, with the tiny pellets hitting our faces and hurting! we got home alright and went to bed. this morning was a whole different Ottawa. I left 45minutes early so that i'd make it on time or early. the journey usually takes about 10mins.

first, i went to go out the back through the fence to my car, but the fence was frozen shut in 10cms of ice. so i went around the front to find my car frozen shut. after 10minutes of trying, i finally got the door open and realized that there was over an inch thick layer of ice ALL OVER my car. i tried getting it off but got nowhere and went in to call babysitting, which they decided they didn't need me till later and i told them i'd try to get into my car.

it took 3 people and 1 hour to clear the car. we broke 2 ice scrapers and the wind was NUTS. i've never seen such ice.

I asked Thomas to drive me to babysitting because i get stressed driving in ice/snowy conditions and i've been here since 2.

so if we backtrack to last night, one of tara's friends, Janice (who used to live in my room), was over and she decided to stay over rather than risk the freezing rain. well after we helped her clear her car this morning, she returned to her house to find it without power so she came back. NUTSO.

what a day. that's all i have to say.

ps. i totally just accidentally posted this on my sister's blog by accident. oops!